Fort Moore

U.S. Army Fort Moore and The Maneuver Center of Excellence

Logistics Readiness Center (LRC) Site

Logistics Readiness Center (LRC)

Personal Property Shipment Office (PPSO)

Transportation External SOP
(Click here to view)


  • Bldg 6 Rm 105, Meloy Drive
  • 0800-1630 M-F
  • Receptionist: (706) 545-4900
  • Assistant Supervisor: (706) 545-5912
  • Supervisor: (706) 545-4878

We serve all military personnel, family members, and DoD civilians in arranging shipment and storage of household goods and personally-owned vehicles.

Please call to make an appointment for your briefing and for instructions on how to apply for a password in DPS. All applications are input into the DPS system at the time of the briefing.

These briefings are designed to answer basic questions, process your shipment request, and link you to the appropriate staff to help you.

PPSO Contact Information

Receptionist Number 706-545-4900
FAX Number 706-545-6218
Inbound/Outbound Shipments Info 706-545-4877
Personally Procured Moves (formerly DITY) 706-545-4877
Local Moves 706-545-4888
Non-Temporary Storage 706-545-3556


  • Household Good Moves and Personally Procured Moves (formerly DITY/HHG) – 0830, M,T,Th,F
  • Service member is required to bring 6 copies of movement orders to the briefing.
  • Please call to make an appointment for your briefing due to limited seating capacity.
  • These briefings are designed to answer basic questions and link you to the appropriate staff to help you.
  • Once you have attended a briefing, you must come into our office to change dates or cancel shipments.

More Information


  • DD 2278 | Application for DITY Move and Counseling Checklist
  • DD 1299 | Application for Shipment and/or Storage of Personal Property
  • DD 1351 | Travel Voucher or Subvoucher
  • DD 1797 | Personal Property Counseling Checklist
  • FRV Checklist | Full Replacement Value (FRV) Coverage Counseling Checklist

Full-Replacement Value

Please visit the Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) website for more information on Full Replacement Value.

Shipping your POV:

Please visit the Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) website for more information on storing or shipping your POV.

Peak Season (Moving Household Goods During the Summer Season)

There are a number of challenges associated with moving household goods during the summer season:

  • 65 % of all DoD moves are performed 15 May through 30 September.
  • Higher demand creates a shortage in moving capacity; adds difficulties.

Proper planning can mitigate most of the issues encountered during the summer season and lead to a smooth move:

  • Customers should immediately complete requirements to receive orders.
  • Upon receipt of orders, promptly book their household goods move.
  • Customers should book their moves at least 45 days in advance.

Personally Procured Move (PPM)

DESCRIPTION: The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program is an alternative means of moving your personal property. An incentive of 95% of what it would have cost the government to move the property will be paid to you for a Self-Procured move. Final settlement is based on the actual weight moved. Your actual costs are tax deductible from the 95% entitlements and the remainder is taxed 28% Federal Tax.

Under the Self-Procured program you need to:

  • Obtain the necessary equipment, materials and vehicles to safely transport the property
  • Locate weight scales to obtain certified tare/gross weights
  • Obtain receipts for expenses
  • Submit a settlement claim. If a final settlement claim is not made within 45 days after the start of the move, action can be taken to recoup any advanced operating allowance from your pay.

The (PPPO) Personal Property Processing Office must prior approve a Self-Procured Move. Failing to comply with the provisions of the program limits reimbursement to actual expenses incurred not to exceed the Government cost.

EXCESS COSTS: When performing a move you have a weight limit based on your rank with/without dependents and you are limited to shipping the property to the location authorized on your orders. If this is a partial Self-Procured Move, the weight from the Government move (GBL) will be deducted from your total authorized weight and you will be entitled to claim the remaining weight for the Self-Procured portion of the move. (PERFORMING A SELF-PROCURED MOVE DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE WILL BE NO EXCESS COST!!)

ESTIMATING WEIGHT: The most important step in avoiding paying back any of an advance operating allowance option available (60% all branch of services with the exception of Marine which is 50%) is to accurately estimate the weight to be moved. You can estimate your weight by calculating 1000-1200 lbs per fully furnished room.

WEIGHT TICKETS: You must obtain certified empty and loaded weight tickets for each vehicle used to perform your Self-Procured move. If you make multiple trips with the same vehicle you only need to obtain one empty weight ticket and a loaded weight ticket for each trip made. The weight tickets must have your full name and last 5 digits of your SSN, the type of vehicle it belongs to designating whether it's the loaded or empty weight ticket(s). NO passengers are to be in the vehicle when obtaining the weight tickets.

OPERATING EXPENSES: The costs you incur to perform the move are not taxable. Authorized expenses include payment for rental vehicles/trailers, packing materials, moving equipment (hand trucks or appliance dollies), blanket wraps, gasoline and oil expenses, itemized expenses that may be directly related to the Self-Procured move such as tolls, weight tickets, etc. These costs are deducted from the incentive payment to determine the financial profit for taxable purposes.

AUTHORIZED VEHICLES: You can use any type of vehicle to perform your Self-Procured move. Please be advised that there will be no reimbursement for mechanical problems with any vehicle used so please use a vehicle in good mechanical condition. If you are using your POV for the PPM move, bring in a copy of your POV registration to the briefing.

SELF-PROCURED MOVE SETTLEMENTS: If you are separating, retiring, PCSing at Fort Moore, PCSing overseas, or doing a Home of Record move, Fort Moore is the paying installation and all documents will need to be turned into the PPPO for processing. If you are PCSing stateside, you will turn in your documentation to your gaining installation transportation office.

SELF-PROCURED MOVE CLAIMS: You are responsible for preventing loss and/or damage before, during and after the move. Claims will be submitted in accordance with current Service regulations. Because Self Procured (DITY) move participants are responsible for arranging the entire move, claims for loss and/or damage will generally not be paid, except in those cases where an act transpires that is beyond your control (vehicle accident, fire or theft, etc) and it is determined that you are free of negligence.

STORAGE: You are authorized temporary storage in conjunction with a Self-Procured move. Reimbursement for commercial storage is based on the actual expenses incurred not to exceed what it would have cost the Government to store a like shipment of personal property. Temporary storage is not authorized in connection with a local move.

FRAUDULENT SHIPMENTS: Shipment of unauthorized items, fraudulent weight tickets, bogus expenses or transportation to unauthorized destinations is illegal. Any evidence of improper actions will be immediately reported to the appropriate service investigation office (CID). If you make a fraudulent shipment, you are subject to forfeiture of your entitlement and all costs will be at personal expense. In addition, criminal charges may be filed.

NOTE ABOUT TAXES: If you request and draw an advance operating allowance, taxes are not deducted in the computation; however they will be deducted from your final settlement.

INSURANCE COVERAGE: If using a trailer, check your auto insurance policy to ensure you are properly covered in case of loss and/or damage. Although many auto insurance companies extend coverage for trailers that are towed behind a privately owned vehicle, some may not. Additional insurance, if required, must be purchased by you and is not reimbursable. If involved in an accident, it is possible that a claim may be filed against you, your insurance company and/or the Government. The law of the state where the accident occurred determines liability in such cases. In the past, many courts have held that members operating privately owned or rented vehicles on change of station moves are not acting within the scope of their employment. Therefore, you are not protected by the Federal Torts Claims Act and may be held liable if you have inadequate insurance coverage to satisfy all damage and third party injury claims or lawsuits resulting from an accident. If involved in an accident while performing a Self-Procured move, you should advise the legal office at the Military Installation nearest the accident site.


Shipping Personal Property Overseas

When you receive your PCS orders contact your responsible Transportation Office to make arrangement to ship your personal property to your overseas assignment.


In some overseas areas, administrative weight restrictions may apply. If the area to which you are assigned provides Government furniture, for example, the Government may impose an administrative weight restriction, which would prevent you from shipping your full JFTR weight allowance overseas. The counselor at your transportation office can provide information on weight-restricted areas. If you are administratively restricted, the Government stores the remainder of your Household Goods (HHG) up to your full JFTR allowance, and/or ships the remainder to a designated place within CONUS for the duration of your overseas tour. Unaccompanied Baggage (UB) is included in your JFTR weight allowance, but is in addition to your administrative HHG weight allowance. Authorized Professional, books, papers and equipment (PBP&E) is not counted against the full JFTR weight allowance or an administrative weight allowance. However, you must declare an estimated amount during counseling that should be noted on the DD-1299 prior to HHG/UB pick up.

If you are going overseas accompanied (with dependents), you must have concurrent travel orders or dependent travel orders in order to ship HHG to your overseas assignment.

If you are going overseas and your dependent will be joining you at a later date (deferred travel) you can get your HHG picked up and held in Pending Overseas Storage (POS) until you receive you dependent travel orders. Upon receipt of dependent travel orders, you will send the Transportation Office a request to release your HHG from storage.

When you are scheduling your pack and pickup days, take in consideration that the transit time for HHG to reach overseas destination is 63-73 days, UB is 37-45 days.

You may be authorized to ship or store one privately owned vehicle (POV), depending on what country you are assigned. Go to the SDDC website, click on POV to get more information on shipping and storing a POV. For additional information please call or visit our office, 706-545-4900, Bldg 6, Rm 105.

Unauthorized Items for Shipment

The following items are NOT AUTHORIZED as personal property for shipment at Government expense by commercial method or Do-It-Yourself (DITY) Move.

Personal baggage that can be hand carried, automobiles, trucks, vans (and similar motor vehicles), airplanes, mobile homes, camper trailer, farming vehicles, live animals (birds, fish and reptiles) cordwood, and building materials. Also, HHG for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by the member and dependents privately owned live ammunition.

NOTE: Local laws or carrier regulations may prohibit commercial transportation of certain articles not included. These articles frequently include property liable to impregnate or otherwise damage equipment or other property (e.g., hazardous) articles including:

  • Explosives, flammable and corrosive materials, poisons.
  • Articles that cannot be taken from the premises without damage to the article or the premises.
  • Perishable articles (including frozen foods), articles requiring refrigeration, or perishable plants unless:
  • Delivery is to be accomplished within 24 hours from the time of loading.
  • No storage is required.
  • No preliminary or en route services (e.g., watering or other preservative method) are required of the carrier.

Appendix BG, 4500.9-R lists the following items as unauthorized:

Combustible Liquids

Alcoholic beverage*
Antifreeze compounds
Camphor oil
Fluid cleaners
*Subject to carrier's acceptance


Black powder
Blasting caps
Dynamite - plastics or any similar explosives
Explosive auto alarms
Fuse lighters
Signal powder
Smokeless powder
Spear guns having charged heads
Toy propellants or smoke devices

Compressed Gases

Engine starting fluids
Fire extinguishers
Gases used in welding
Scuba diving units
Aerosol can (containing a flammable liquid, toxic or corrosive substance)  
  Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in decorative lamps

Corrosive Liquids

Acids: muriatic, nitric, photographic, sulfuric
Battery with acid
Flame retardant compounds
Iron/steel rust preventing/removing compounds


Adhesives (glue, cements, plastics)
Charcoal briquettes
Cleaning fluids
Compound 3 weed killers
Denatured alcohol
Paint or varnish remover

Petroleum products

Polishes, liquid
Propane tanks
Propane or other gas used for cooking or heating
Shoe polish (liquid)
Solvents, plastic
Wood filler
Souvenir explosive instruments of war
Oil stain for wood

Valuable Property and Professional Items

Valuable Property

ITEMS / PROPERTY by Serial Number
All Electronic Equipment (Examples: Television, VCR, DVD player, Sound System, Cameras, Camcorder, Play Station, XBox, Computers)
Electronic Games
Musical Instruments Any other item that can be identified by serial number

For Jewelry/ Family Heirlooms/Money Jars, it is recommended that these items be secured by the service member.

Professional Items

Professional Books, Papers and Equipment

You must separate professional items and authorized consumables from the rest of the property so the movers may pack, mark, and weigh separately.

When professional items are properly listed on the inventory, that weight is not counted as part of your weight allowance. Before signing the inventory prepared by the packers, be sure these items are listed as such: "Professional books, papers and equipment" or "authorized consumables" and not as "books" or "miscellaneous." If they are not listed on the carrier's inventory at origin as "professional" items as described above, they cannot be designated or added at a later time as "professional" and their weight cannot be subtracted from the total weight of your shipment. The proper designation of these items and the exclusion of their weight can be very important.

When required to perform official duties, the following items are considered "professional" books, papers and equipment:

  • Reference books, papers, and materials
  • Instruments, tools, and equipment needed by technicians, mechanics, and members of the profession
  • Specialized clothing such as diving suits, flying suits, band uniforms and other apparel not considered to be normal or usual uniforms or clothing
  • Communications equipment used in connection with the Military Affiliated Radio System
  • Individually owned or specially issued field clothing or equipment, official Awards and other memorabilia given to a member by a uniformed service, Professional society or organization or a U.S. or foreign government.
  • If the items above will not be used to perform your official duties at the next or some future assignment, they cannot be considered professional books, papers and equipment except in the case of retirees and most separates, which are entitled to such goods at government expense to a home of record, or home of selection whichever applies.

Professional books, papers and equipment do not include office, household or shop fixtures or furniture (such as bookcases, desks and file cabinets) or any sports equipment.

Weight Allowances


Weight Allowances (Pounds)

0-10 18,000 18,000 2,000
0-9 18,000 18,000 1,500
0-8 18,000 18,000 1,000
0-7 18,000 18,000 1,000
0-6 18,000 18,000 800
0-5/W-5 16,000 17,500 800
0-4/W-4 14,000 17,000 800
0-3/W-3 13,000 14,500 600
0-2/W-2 12,500 13,500 600
0-1/W-1 10,000 12,000 600
E-9 13,500 15,000 600
E-8 12,000 14,000 500
E-7 11,000 13,000 400
E-6 8,000 11,000 400
E-5 7,000 9,000 400
E-4 7,000 8,000 400
E-3 to E-1 5,000 8,000 400
Aviation Cadets 7,000 8,000 400
Service Academy Cadets and Midshipmen 350

Frequently Asked Questions


QUESTION: I plan on staying in the local area for awhile after I get out of the Military. How long do I have to use my orders?

ANSWER: On ETS orders, you have 6 months from the date of ETS to utilize your move to your Home of Record or Place of Entry on Active duty or an equal distance. If you have Retirement Orders, you are authorized One (1) year from date of retirement to utilize your move to your Home of Selection within the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.

QUESTION: I have recently retired and will not be ready to move with the one year time frame. Can this time be extended?

ANSWER: IAW JFTR paragraph U5012I, Travel and Transportation allows that an extension may be authorized based on written time limit extension request that includes an explanation of the circumstances justifying the extension. Travel and Transportation allowances may not be extended for more than 6 years from the date of retirement.

QUESTION: How long does it take to get my household goods picked up?

ANSWER: During non-peak shipping season (Sept-April), usually 5 working days is enough notice to have household goods and unaccompanied baggage picked up. During peak season (May - September), it's possible that all carriers are booked as much as 20 days in advance. therefore, it is imperative that you contact the office immediately upon receipt of orders. This office will make every effort to accommodate the dates you desire. However, we must rely on the moving industry to provide the service.

QUESTION: I have TCS orders and will be deploying soon. Can I move my family back to my home while I am deployed?

ANSWER: Movement of household goods and dependents are authorized on PCS orders only. Full PCS entitlements do not apply for TCS orders.

QUESTION: I have TCS orders and will be deploying soon. Can I put my household goods in storage?

ANSWER: Special storage of HHG in connection with TCS orders is authorized for:

  • Single soldiers (both regular active duty and RC)
  • Soldiers married to another service member when both are deployed
  • Soldiers married to another service member residing at different permanent duty stations.
  • Soldiers who are single parents with a childcare plan that requires the dependant to leave the residence.

QUESTION: I have recently married and would like to ship my spouse's personal property to Fort Moore. Am I authorized shipment of his/her property at government expense?

ANSWER: In order to be authorized shipment of personal property at Government expense, that property must be your property, acquired by you prior to the effective date of your orders to Fort Moore, GA. Property acquired after your report date to Fort Moore cannot be shipped at Government expense until you receive a new PCS order.

QUESTION: I recently shipped my household goods to Germany. I've been deleted from the assignment. How do I get my property back?

ANSWER: Based on your Revocation orders, property can be reshipped back to your previous duty station. If your property was placed in nontemporary storage, you have 90 days from date of revocation to have your property removed from storage. Contact the Inbound Section to have property shipped back and the Outbound Section if you placed your property in nontemporary storage here.


back to top

QUESTION: I am considering moving my own property to my next duty station. How do I make arrangements for this and can you tell me how much money I will make?

ANSWER: To arrange a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move you will need to come to the Transportation office with 4 copies of the orders and attend a DITY brief. After the brief you will come back to the office to pick up the documents necessary to settle the move which will provide you with an estimated dollar amount for the move. You will receive payment of a monetary allowance equal to 95% of the Government's constructed cost.

QUESTION: How long does it take to receive my DITY settlement after I complete the DITY move?

ANSWER: You should receive payment no later than 30 days after you complete and submit the documents to this office. Service member will be taxed 28% of settlement.

QUESTION: Do I get paid mileage on a DITY move?

ANSWER: No, the mileage is paid through finance as a part of your Travel Pay.

QUESTION: Is my food and lodging covered by my DITY move?

ANSWER: No, this is paid through finance as a part of your Travel Pay.

QUESTION: Where can I get my weight tickets for my DITY move?

ANSWER: You can get your weight tickets from any state certified weighing station. Weight stations are at most all Truck Stops and Moving and Storage Companies.

QUESTION: Can I do a DITY move and have the Government move some of my property?

ANSWER: Yes, you can do a DITY and a government move in conjunction with each other not to exceed the weight allowance based on your rank and dependent status.


QUESTION: I shipped property to Ft Moore. How will I know my shipment is here?

ANSWER: Immediately upon arrival to Ft Moore contact the Inbound Personal Property Section, Transportation Branch, Telephone 706-545-4900. If your shipment has arrived, you will be given instructions on how to schedule delivery. If your property has not yet arrived, contact information will be taken and you will be contacted immediately once it arrives.

QUESTION: I just PCS'd to Ft Moore and have property at another location. How can I get it here?

ANSWER: If your property is stored at Government Expense at another installation, contact the Inbound Personal Property Section. Along with your request for shipment and PCS orders, a request for shipment will be processed and forwarded to the installation where your property is stored. You will need to come into the Inbound section to make those arrangements. If your property is located at a residence or in private storage at another location, come into the Outbound Personal Property Section with copies of PCS orders assigning you to Ft Moore. If this is your first duty station also brings in your MEPS orders or Enlistment Contract. A Counselor will complete documentation to have your property shipped here.

QUESTION: I have property shipped here that is in storage. The 90 days storage is about to expire and I am having a house built. How can I get the storage extended?

ANSWER: Contact the Inbound Personal Property section and request in writing an extension of Storage. Recent change in the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) only provides for a maximum of 180 days temporary storage without approval from Southeastern Regional Office. Additional storage beyond 180 days may not be authorized/approved if you elect to have a home built while other housing is available.

QUESTION: I have just arrived and my property is still in Temporary Storage. I now have TCS orders and will be deploying. What happens to my property in storage?

ANSWER: Once you provide the Inbound Personal Property Section a copy of your TCS orders, your property may remain in storage until your return from deployment if: you are single with no dependents you have dependents and they are not at your new duty station and will not come here until you return from deployment. NOTE: If the dependents are at the new duty station and for whatever reason cannot or will not accept delivery, the storage converts to your expense.

QUESTION: Why do I have to be available from 0800 to 1700 to have my property delivered? Why can't the moving Company give me a time?

ANSWER: Transportation Providers are required by Government Regulations to deliver or pick up property between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday. Upon your request, the Transportation Provider may schedule your move for Morning or Afternoon.

back to top


QUESTION: How can I research information concerning shipping and storing my Personal Property and POV?

ANSWER: You may go on the WEB at; click on Personal property at the top right. Scroll down the right side. There are information pamphlets on both Shipping/Storing Your Household Goods and POV.

QUESTION: If I have TDY Orders (DD Form 1610) sending me overseas for 179 days, can I store my household goods and ship some also?

ANSWER: No. Nontemporary Storage is not authorized for TDY and return to same duty station orders.

QUESTION: What are my entitlements if I'm attending a service school in conjunction with a PCS?

ANSWER: If you are attending a PCS course of instruction, you are authorized shipment to your school and also nontemporary storage of any part of your weight allowance. If your PCS orders have a temporary duty in route you are also authorized to store your property pending completion of your TDY then shipment to your PCS duty station.

back to top


QUESTION: What time will the movers be at my residence to pack and pickup my furniture?

ANSWER: The movers will arrive at your residence between 0800 and 1700 hrs.

QUESTION: Where do I turn in my paperwork to file a claim for damage to my household goods?

ANSWER: You must first file claim with the carrier; if you feel you weren't compensated properly, then you can file a claim at JAG with the stipulation of only receiving 75% replacement value (instead of full replacement value from the carrier).

QUESTION: How long after my property is delivered do I have to file my claim for damages?

ANSWER: You have 70 days to initiate your claim against the carrier and 2 years to finalize the claim with the Government.

QUESTION: Will the movers return to pick up packing material at a later date?

ANSWER: Movers are required to remove all packing material after they have unpacked your household goods. If you waive the unpacking and decide to do it yourself, the movers are not required to return and pick up the packing material.

QUESTION: Can I ship furniture in my unaccompanied baggage?

ANSWER: Unaccompanied baggage consist of items such as clothes, dishes, linens, small collapsible items such as cribs, playpens and changing tables. It should only contain items that you need immediately upon arrival overseas. All furniture is to be shipped as Household goods.

back to top